Chidimma Adetshina, the former Miss Universe Nigeria, has spoken publicly for the first time about her ongoing deportation battle in South Africa. The 25-year-old beauty queen's case was pushed to 2027 after protesters chanted "go home" outside the Cape Town Regional Court.
South African Deportation Case Adjourned
Adetshina's deportation case has been adjourned until February 27, 2027, allowing her to remain free in South Africa while her legal challenge plays out. The court ruled it could not confirm her detention pending the outcome of a separate High Court review of the decision to revoke her South African citizenship.
Anti-Immigration Protests Greet Chidimma at Court
Her appearance at the court was met with hostility from members of anti-immigration group Operation Dudula, who gathered outside the building chanting "Chidimma, go home" and carrying placards demanding her deportation. Adetshina was forced to run into the court upon arrival to avoid the crowd, and later left under the protection of family members after the situation outside escalated further.
Chidimma Speaks Out
Speaking to journalists outside the court on Wednesday, Adetshina said she remained confident in South Africa's judicial system despite the prolonged nature of the proceedings. "I would like to say that I am grateful that I have once again been able to get an opportunity to have my faith in our courts. I remind everyone that I was born in South Africa," she said.
Targeted and Treated Unfairly
Adetshina said she believed she had been singled out and treated differently from how others in similar situations would be handled. "I believe I have been treated unfairly and targeted, and there has been an attempt to make me an example," she said. She urged South Africans to uphold the rule of law and resist allowing prejudice to shape how individuals are treated before the courts.
The Rule of Law Must Prevail
Adetshina's lawyers have maintained throughout the proceedings that she was born in South Africa, has deep ties to the country, and cannot be held personally responsible for documentation irregularities linked to her mother. The High Court challenge, which contests the revocation of her South African identity documents, must now be resolved before the regional court can proceed further.
A Long and Winding Road Ahead
Adetshina's legal troubles began in 2024 when questions about her citizenship emerged during her participation in the Miss South Africa pageant. She withdrew from the competition amid public backlash, subsequently won the Miss Universe Nigeria title, and finished as first runner-up at the Miss Universe pageant, the highest placement ever by a Nigerian contestant.
Source: Pulse.ng
